Recipe for KuKu (KooKoo) Sabzi
A PERSIAN HERB FRITTATA
• 1 can of dried/dehydrated herbs
(soak for 15 minutes in water, drain, and let dry.)
• 1 package of frozen, pre-chopped herbs
Also, you will need:
• 10 eggs
• 1 tsp baking soda or baking powder
• 1 tbsp of flour
• 1 tsp of turmeric
• 1 tbsp of salt (or to taste)
• Pepper to taste
• Olive oil
Toppings (Optional, but delicious!)
• Dried Barberries (Zershk)
• Chopped Walnuts
1. In a large bowl, place the chopped herbs and add the baking soda, flour, turmeric, salt, and pepper (as well as the zershk, if using).
Next, add the eggs and beat with the herbs briefly to mix. It is important NOT to over beat the eggs.
2. In a large skillet, add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and turn the heat on high. (The key is for the pan and oil to be HOT.)
With a large wooden spoon, carefully add the egg mixture into the pan from the outside to the center. Use the spoon to smooth and flatten the top.
3. For Side 1: Cook on high heat for 5 minutes to allow the egg mixture to harden. (Tip: shake the skillet occasionally to keep from sticking to the pan.)
After 5 minutes, lower the heat to medium and cover with a lid. When the egg mixture starts to somewhat set at the top and center, it’s time to flip.
If you want the koo koo to be in one piece, put a large plate over the fry-pan and flip. Otherwise, with a spatula, cut the koo koo into 6-8 wedges and flip the pieces individually. Add a tbsp of olive oil back into the pan, if dry.
4. For Side 2: Cook on high heat for 5 minutes to harden and create a crust; then lower the heat to medium again and and cover with a lid for 5 minutes.
If it needs to be cooked longer, keep the lid andlower the flame to a lower heat for another 5 minutes.